Friday, December 30, 2005

TrackIR - WOW!

This has to be the single most immersive hardware enhancement for MS FS - I am floored at the incredible performance of the TrackIRTM 4 Pro. I am kicking myself for not joining the bandwagon sooner - but I'm glad that I waited for the latest model.

The sensor itself has a very tiny footprint atop my 20" CRT monitor (LCD's just aren't the best for graphic design). The only problem I see long term is that I'm going to have "hat head" as the trackclip requires use of a baseball-type hat to attach to. I'm believe the exaggerated motion of the brim helps in translating small movements of the head into large movements in the TrackIRTM software, so that's a decent trade-off - I do like to keep eyes on the screen while flying.

I was also delighted to see that Naturalpoint is based in Corvallis, Oregon. I worked there long ago in the summer of 1998 in HP's Inkjet business group as an intern. Awesome place!!

[EDIT]
It appears this post has inspired others to take the TrackIR plunge!!

No comments: